MAIN OBJECTIVES & JOB ROLE:
To manage the Kitchen Department efficiently, maintaining the highest standards of presentation and quality of Cuisine possible within the gross profit targets laid down by the Executive Chef and the requirements of Health, Safety and Hygiene as in law of all kitchen areas.
MAIN AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Responsible for the management of all food production.
- To ensure budgeted profit targets are met.
- To ensure that food preparation and quality is of the highest standard possible within the limits of budgeted profit targets with a view to maximising sales to guests and ensuring staff welfare.
- Responsible for stock control; ensuring that stock levels are in line with Company requirements and to control food stocks each month in co-operation with Executive Chef.
- Liase with the Conference & Banqueting and Sales on Menus.
- To personally prepare special dishes as required.
- To supervise staff in the kitchen department to be responsible for their well being and morale.
- To ensure that Due Diligence documentation, rotas and other working papers are efficiently completely within Company guidelines
- In liaison with the HR Office, to be responsible for recruitment and to ensure consistent and progressive training (including on-the-job training)
- To ensure that staff are smart and clean at all times.
- To maintain discipline in a fair and consistent manner, including regular time-keeping by staff. Ensuring that the Disciplinary Procedure and the procedure for grievances are properly observed.
- To carry out regular performance reviews with all staff under your supervision through appraisals in line with company standards.
- To be responsible for the preparation of holiday rotas.
- Responsible for rota returns, ensuring that absenteeism and sickness, etc. is properly recorded.
- Responsible to the Executive Chef for the control of overtime, casual and extra wage payments for staff under his supervision.
- Responsible to the Executive Chef for ensuring that all Casual Employees under your supervision are engaged only after the correct documentation has been completed as laid down by law and the Company.
- Responsible with the Executive Chef for the preparation forecasting labour costs for the Kitchen Department as required by the Accounts and monitoring subsequent performances.
- To be aware of opportunities to improve the profitability of the kitchen Department. Responsible at all times for economy of energy and operating expenses.
- To maintain effective communication with staff under your supervision and ensure that they are well informed.
- Report problems and complaints to the Executive Chef and keep him fully informed.
- Hold regular meetings with appropriate staff to assist in the fulfilment of the Kitchen's function in line with the departmental mission statement.
- To attend meetings, as required by the Executive Chef.
- To liase with the Restaurant Managers and Supervisors to ensure that optimum co-operation between the Kitchen and Restaurant Departments particularly with regard to prompt and efficient service.
- Responsible for hygiene in the kitchen areas; ensuring that it is maintained to the minimum standards required by the Department of Environmental Health and Law.
- Make a regular inspection accompanied by the Executive Chef of all areas under your supervision.
- Report any serious hygiene problems at once to the Executive Chef and Recommend to the Executive Chef training programmes on Hygiene.
- Co-ordinate regular on-the-job training on hygiene: - ensuring that food handlers are constantly being instructed on the dangers of food contamination and the procedures necessary for the hygienic handling of food.
- Report any pest sightings to the Executive Chef.
- Ensure that all staff are trained to the standards of the new Health and Food Safety Acts.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Implement the Health and Safety policy.
- Ensure that your staff know and implement the Health and Safety policy.
- Co-operate generally with the Health and Safety policy.
- To be personally responsible with regards to the Health and Safety of those persons with whom you come into contact at work.
- Report any defects in machinery and equipment immediately to the Maintenance Manager and Executive Chef with special regard to: a)Slicers, ovens, mixers, steamers; b)Trolleys;
- To be aware of unsafe practices, such as dangerous stacking, so that these practices can be superseded by safe procedures.
- Ensure that your staff report as a matter of routine all defective machinery and equipment and unsafe practices.
- To co-operate with the Fire Officer. To be aware of procedures for fighting kitchen fires and the Company Fire Procedure. Ensure that fire equipment in the kitchen areas is fully maintained. Ensuring that your staff are kept fully trained in fire procedures.
- Responsible for the First Aid boxes in the Kitchen Department. Ensuring that supplies are maintained and that a record of issue is kept by health and safety representative.
- To know the First Aid procedure and to ensure that the staff know.
- Co-operate with the Executive Chef in maintaining security in the kitchen areas.
- Responsible, in co-operation with the Executive Chef, for the prevention of wastage or theft of food and other company property.
- Detect undesirable and suspicious characters in the Kitchen areas and either by taking action or reporting to the Duty Manager as appropriate.
- Know the bomb procedure and ensure that your staff know it.
- Advise the Maintenance Manager of routine maintenance requirements in the Kitchen Department and ensures that they are carried out.
- Advise the Executive Chef of major expenditure or purchasing requirements.
- Responsible to the Executive Chef for the storage, maintenance and issue of kitchen equipment. Ensure that proper stocks are taken periodically as required.
- Carry out any other task or project as reasonably requested by the Executive Executive Chef or General Manager